With the nights drawing in and Autumn approaching, Chris Stott, Managing Director of Wessex Fire & Security, suggests a checklist of simple measures that can help keep you safe through the darker days ahead.
• Get your chimney swept by a professional. The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps recommends that wood fires be swept quarterly when in use.
• Don’t be tempted to extend the barbeque season beyond reason by reducing on the alfresco element. Every year there are fires – some serious – caused by people trying to barbeque in sheds, under awnings or generally too close to shelter.
• Be very aware of potential risks around you before lighting that autumn bonfire.
• Check on the general condition of your oil tank and consider having a tank alarm fitted. Wessex Fire and Security can help with this
• Think about fitting Security Lights. They are a major deterrent to burglars and aid the safer movement of welcome visitors around your property.
• Test out that smoke alarm and make sure you have sufficient in good working order.
• Candles are lovely but bear in mind that they can be a major fire hazard. Site your candles carefully and don’t leave them unattended
• Make sure your domestic fire extinguisher is still in date and in a condition to operate if needed.
• With the increased cover of darkness your risk of being a victim of burglary increases. Lock up and alarm your property: NACOSS Certified Companies provide the best level of intruder protection.
• Pay attention to the local crime stories. Once criminals find a way of gaining access to property they will repeat the method. Check to make sure your home is not an easy target.
Contact Wessex Fire & Security on 01747 852878 and see how we can help you.