From the expertise and commitment of one man, more than fifty years ago, to the well-respected, thriving family-run business you see today, the story of the Wessex Group is built on hard work and happy customers.
In 1963 Tony Morgan left the Southern Electricity Board, where he had served an electrical apprenticeship, to begin working for himself. Over the next twenty years, he grew this business into Wessex Electricals.
Wessex Electricals’ size and reputation expanded across the South West of England and Wessex Alarms (now known as Wessex Fire & Security) was founded in 1984, quickly growing to become the region’s number one provider of security systems. Tony’s eldest son, Simon, joined the business as a trainee security surveyor in 1985 cementing the family values that Wessex are still famous for today.
Wessex Group was formed to provide structure and central resource for the burgeoning services businesses and Tony’s younger son, Alistair, joined the business as a trainee buyer in 1993 bringing 6 years of experience in electrical wholesale sales.
Wessex Alarms expanded to provide expert fire safety and prevention services and was renamed Wessex Fire & Security. In 1999 Wessex moved to the business’s current 2,500m2 head office on the Longmead Industrial Estate, following a decade of exceptional growth with some high profile nationally significant projects.
In 2000 Wessex Electricals was named as one of the Top 50 UK electrical contracting firms and Tony was awarded the prestigious role of President of the Electrical Contractors Association, the first of many accolades recognising his exceptional work in the electrical and security industries.
In 2004 Wessex started providing heating and plumbing services and our expansion continued apace with the launch of Wessex Property Care in 2012. Tony retired in 2006 passing the baton to his two sons Simon and Alistair who are supported by Finance Director, Donna Harry and Non-Executive Director, Bob Hall. We must also acknowledge the tremendous 20-year contribution made by the late Tony Brunt, who was our first Non-Executive Director.
The Group continues to thrive and sales consistently exceed £20m.
As we look forward to completing our 6th decade in business, the number of Employees stand at over 250 and we are becoming ever more focussed on our social responsibilities. Working safely and reducing our impact on the environmental is high on our agenda and we are proud to have been accredited as both ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 compliant in 2018.
- 1963 Tony Morgan starts trading as an electrician.
- 1965 NICEIC membership gained.
- 1972 Wessex Electricals Incorporated.
- 1977 ECA membership gained.
- 1984 Wessex Alarms founded.
- 1985 Simon Morgan joins the business.
- 1986 NSCIA (now NACOSS) membership gained.
- 1989 Moved to purpose built 600m2 offices.
- 1991 Achieved BS5750 (ISO 9001) Certification.
- 1993 Alistair Morgan joins the business.
- 1995 Wessex Alarms renamed Wessex Fire & Security.
- 2000 Moved to new 2,500m2 Head Quarters.
- 2003 Established a training centre with Yeovil College for our apprenticeship scheme.
- 2004 Tony Morgan appointed President of the Electrical Contractors Association.
- 2006 Tony Morgan retires Simon and Ali take over ownership.
- 2010 Wessex Renewable Energy founded.
- 2013 Wessex Property Care founded.
- 2015 Donna Harry appointed as Finance Director.
- 2018 Achieved Integrated Management System accreditation (ISO 9001, 14001 & 45001).
Working at Wessex Group
We believe in treating all of our employees with respect and consideration, after all our staff and their expertise is what makes our business great.
We are proud of our excellent retention rate and our overwhelmingly positive annual staff satisfaction survey results. Our staff consistently tell us that they enjoy working for a strong family business with inherent supporting values.
How can we help?
Choose your option: