With the nights drawing in and Autumn approaching, Chris Stott, Managing Director of Wessex Fire & Security, suggests a checklist of simple measures that can help keep you safe through the darker days ahead.
• Get your chimney swept by a professional. The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps recommends that wood fires be swept quarterly when in use.
• Don’t be tempted to extend the barbeque season beyond reason by reducing on the alfresco element. Every year there are fires – some serious – caused by people trying to barbeque in sheds, under awnings or generally too close to shelter.
• Be very aware of potential risks around you before lighting that autumn bonfire.
• Check on the general condition of your oil tank and consider having a tank alarm fitted. Wessex Fire and Security can help with this
• Think about fitting Security Lights. They are a major deterrent to burglars and aid the safer movement of welcome visitors around your property.
• Test out that smoke alarm and make sure you have sufficient in good working order.
• Candles are lovely but bear in mind that they can be a major fire hazard. Site your candles carefully and don’t leave them unattended
• Make sure your domestic fire extinguisher is still in date and in a condition to operate if needed.
• With the increased cover of darkness your risk of being a victim of burglary increases. Lock up and alarm your property: NACOSS Certified Companies provide the best level of intruder protection.
• Pay attention to the local crime stories. Once criminals find a way of gaining access to property they will repeat the method. Check to make sure your home is not an easy target.
Contact Wessex Fire and Security on 01747 852878 and see how we can help you!